The revolution is fertile!!!
Videos from Barcelona:
– Hort de Gràcia (Garden of Gracia)
A lovley and simple video from a lovley and simple project: the Gracia community garden was a squatted space that existed for over a year, many many amazing things happened there aswell as food production; theatre, cinema, party, yoga, kids school. (related article and audios found here)
A documentary, a research, a story of stories about the construction of a sustainable world based on decentralized solidary economics. Thousands of people every day all over the world are already doing it. Here and now.
(At 20 mins there is the section URBAN ORCHARDS)
– Greening the city and connecting communities @ Barcelona
An eco urban proposal for the city. Create urban greenway / CPUL mesh. Allow all abandoned spaces to become indefinite temporary gardens. Specify strategic zones as permanent community gardens, including within all existing public parks and schools. Connect these nodes by greenways. Turn greenways into CPULS (Continuous Productive Urban Landscapes), Plant fruit and nut trees, berry hedges, diverse vegetation, food. (full proposal PDFs here)
Audio from Barcelona:
– The Gracia community garden radio documentary trilogy
– 10/10/10 International day of climate action
Hort del Fort Pienc | L’Hortet del Forat | Hort del Xino | (MP3, Spanish, article at Caminata a los huertos urbanos de Barcelona. 10.10.10)
Articles from Barcelona:
– In the rain, with raincoats and under brollies, something special happened in Barcelona. (10/10/10 International day of climate action)
– Greening the city: Temporary urban green zones (a plan to get legal access to all those abandoned sad solars)
– Nuevo Huerto Comunitario en Barcelona: HORT DE FORT PIENC (MARINA) (new community garden, Fort Pienc)
– Plant your own food in the city – Barcelona community garden movement (Couch Surfing post)
Links from Barcelona:
You can see the full map from the city garden map here:
Videos from further a field:
A wonderful example from Cuba, of how cities were transformed when the country experienced its “peak oil moment”, when the Soviet block fell in 1989, people had 2 choices; adapt or starve.. This is a must see film.
(We showed this film as CINE FRESCA in the community garden of Gracia, a lovely moment. 53 min. English with subtitles)
An event that inspires city dwellers everywhere to transform metered parking spots into temporary parks for the public good. Originally created by an eco art collective in San Fran, Rebar, Its now gone global…
– South Circular Road Community Garden
A short vid of the evolving story of urban gardening adventures from Dublin, Ireland, as outlined here.
– The Garden Share scheme
This project is growing massivly in the UK with the transition movement. The film is from the film In Transition. It connects up people with back gardens but no time or energy to use them with people who want to make food but who have no space to do so.In the UK its being done in back gardens, but in Barcelona, the same thing could definately be done on roof terraces.
Not-for-profit group that inspires people to grow their own food and give them the practical skills they need to grow successfully.
– A Farm for the Future
A beautiful film about how farming has to address the future as we approach energy crisis, review found here
Audio from further a field:
Articles from further a field:
– CPULs – Continuous Productive Urban Landscapes – A Review ( the architects of food threads can be found at Bohn and Viljoen Architects)
– Urban jungle: As food prices soar, could a project that saw fruit and vegetables grown in town-centre planters and parks be a blueprint for the future? (The Guardian March 26 2008 – Dott 07 Urban Farming in Middlesbrough, UK)
Links from further a field:
– Gardenshare (project being developed by Transition Totnes)
– GIY : Grow It Yourself (Irish Not-for-profit group that inspires people to grow their own food and give them the practical skills they need to grow successfully)
– Ooooby Down in Oz, theyre using this term which stands for ‘Out of our own back yards.’- “We’re all about connecting communities through local food.”
I’ll finish up with a few images to inspire, see you in the fields…